>> Under RH9, Xmms has a huge latency/delay when skipping
>> or pausing (soundcard is Via's 686 built-in sound).  I'm using OSS, and
>> Artsd... I need Artsd since there's no sharing of the sound device with
>> plain OSS.
>
>Are you using KDE (since you're running artsd) ?
>I am not using KDE, and just tried Artsd with OSS, running it manually from
>console (artsd -a oss), then set my xmms preference to use arts sound driver.
>I am not seeing any latency/delay. My sound card is Creative Sound
>
>Can you try just to use OSS directly and see if you still get the delay?

Hi Reuben,

Thanks for experimenting.  If I use OSS directly, I get some latency
(fraction of a second) but nothing like through Artsd (4+ seconds).

When you say you tried it from the console, you still had X running,
right?  You ran Xmms.  As you thought, I _am_ using KDE.  But even if it
works from, say, Blackbox, I'm not sure what I'd do long-term.  I'll give
it a try out of interest.

--
Greg Bell