I try to run exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

 I get xrdb: "cannot open display" error.
       Xmodmap: unable to open display error.

-----Original Message-----
From: Benjamin J. Weiss [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 5:15 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Xvnc server.

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Grinberg, Hari wrote:

> I will try to describe what I did and I will appreciate any help.
>
> 1 add an entry in /etc/service port 5960
> 2 create a file on /etc/xinetd.d/
> 3 open XDMCP on kdmrc and gdm.conf
> 4 start vncserver on init level 3  ( I don't know if it is needed ).

I've never set up vncserver like this, but if your windows vncviewer is
asking for a password, then it should be correct.

> when I start vnc client on my PS WINXP I get an windows grey out not
the
> login screen.

The most common reason for the grey screen is an unmodified
~/.vnc/xstartup file.  The standard one that's installed typically calls

twm.  I recommend modifying it to read as follows:

#!/bin/sh
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

If you do that, then vncserver will start whatever your default X
environment is.

I also have a simple HOWTO on tunneling vnc (I use tight-vnc) through
ssh,
server on Redhat, client on windows.  It's at:

http://www.benjamin.weiss.name/putty-tunnel.html

Ben

Information contained in this email message is intended only for use of the individual
or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or
the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please
immediately notify the [EMAIL PROTECTED] and destroy the original message.