since you are logging in to the ftp server anonymously it might come
under the others group. therefore you aren't allowed to list
anything(might be i'm right). try allowing directories for normal use
with the permission 755 which would allow anonymous logins to have entry
in  to the directory and list contents. as for files in the directory
644 would be the best.

--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf (Linux Consultant)
Telerex Communications India Pvt. Ltd.