While I step into the middle of the conversation. Have you tried a mount
-a this should attempt to mount all of the entries in the fstab.

See what happens then ... Its a suggestion I don't know if this is the
best solution but it should be a direction.

Also try mounting /dev/sda6 somewhere else. Like try this if it is at
all possible:

        mount /dev/sda6 /home/mnt        or
        mount /dev/sda6 /var/mnt

See if you can do any writing there ? HTH.

        Cheers,

        Aly.

--
Aly S.P Dharshi