On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 23:12, Ben Hall wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm setting up a Linux lab that will be remotely accessible via
> X-Win32.  I was originally planning to use RH9's default Gnome install,
> but testing has found it to be too heavy and not quite stable enough.
> (I still get Nautilus crashes, and a user logging into two systems gives
> errors about config files being overwritten etc.)
>
> As an alternative to Gnome or KDE, I have been looking into setting the
> default WM to one of WindowMaker, IceWM or XFCE.  (3.18) however, it
> appears as though none of these follow the freedesktop.org spec for
> system menus.  Do any of you know of existing scripts to make use of the
> new Gnome Menus (which seem to be generated from /usr/share/applications
> files and some other stuff in /etc/X11/desktop-menus.)

Why not make use of MenuMaker to create menus for you - they're
compliable...??

BTW, XFCE4 is in rc2 stage and is definitely nicer on remote connections
than the others...

--
Thu Aug 14 06:50:00 EST 2003
 06:50:00 up 10 days, 10:38,  1 user,  load average: 1.96, 1.80, 1.54

IV. The time required for an object to fall twenty stories is greater than or
    equal to the time it takes for whoever knocked it off the ledge to
    spiral down twenty flights to attempt to capture it unbroken.
        Such an object is inevitably priceless, the attempt to capture it
        inevitably unsuccessful.
 V. All principles of gravity are negated by fear.
        Psychic forces are sufficient in most bodies for a shock to propel
        them directly away from the earth's surface.  A spooky noise or an
        adversary's signature sound will induce motion upward, usually to
        the cradle of a chandelier, a treetop, or the crest of a flagpole.
        The feet of a character who is running or the wheels of a speeding
        auto need never touch the ground, especially when in flight.
VI. As speed increases, objects can be in several places at once.
        This is particularly true of tooth-and-claw fights, in which a
        character's head may be glimpsed emerging from the cloud of
        altercation at several places simultaneously.  This effect is common
        as well among bodies that are spinning or being throttled.  A "wacky"
        character has the option of self-replication only at manic high
        speeds and may ricochet off walls to achieve the velocity required.
                -- Esquire, "O'Donnell's Laws of Cartoon Motion", June 1980