On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 17:12, Douglas Phillipson wrote:

> Bret Hughes wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 15:46, Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> >
> >>I recently posted a question concerning attaching a DLT tape drive to a
> >>Dell 2650 running RH AS 2.1.  The eventual solution was to install the
> >>OS with the tape drive attached because I couldn't get it to be
> >>recognized by adding it after the install.
> >>
> >>In a related situation I've backed up the server with dump and have a
> >>DLT with all the partitions backed up.  I then proceeded to rm -r /usr
> >>and attempt to restore the /usr partition.  (server is not on line yet)
> >>  I found that when booting the RH AS 2.1 CD and selecting the
> >>"recovery" mode, it nicely mounts the partitions for me under
> >>/mnt/sysimage but I have no access to the tape drive as the device is
> >>missing (/dev/st0).  I've tried "insmod st" and "mknod /dev/st0 c 9 0"
> >>and I get no errors but the tape device doesn't seem to be there.  How
> >>do those of you  running servers do bare metal backup and restore?
> >

> > I have always reinstalled from cd and then done the restore.  Mind you,
> > I have never had this happen to a system partition in the wild, only
> > during testing.  Im my case I now use amanda and use amrestore, ir is it
> > amrecover, to actually do the restore.  I also have it setup to use tar
> > so I am not dump literate.
> >
> > Having said all this there has to be something that can access the tape:
> >
> > is the device /dev/st0 really missing?  by default, mt and alot of other
> > tape utils default to /dev/tape which is symlinked to /dev/st0 on my
> > machine.
> >
> Remember I'm booted on the RH recovery CD so it is a minimul version of
> Linux.  The tape device is not there, /dev/st? and /dev/tape.  a cat of
> /proc/scsi/scsi shows the tape on SCSI id 6 but when loading the "st"
> module and making the device node nothing happens.  The device node gets
> made and it is a character device at 9,0 as it is when fully booted in
> RH but when accessing it with mt -f /dev/st0 I just get a "No such
> device" error.

Ah yes.  Never having used the recovery cd I would first look to see if
the filesystem that /dev is on can even be written to.

what does mount show?

If you think that the original / file system is in place then you could
probably chroot to the original fs and then be jammin
chroot /mnt/sysimage/whatever should do it or use the device that is at
/mnt/sysimage/whateveristheroot/dev/st0 as the device

try

mt -f /mnt/sysimage/whateverisrootfs/dev/st0 status

Bret