Bret Hughes wrote:
On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 17:12, Douglas Phillipson wrote:

Bret Hughes wrote:

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 15:46, Douglas Phillipson wrote:

I recently posted a question concerning attaching a DLT tape drive to a Dell 2650 running RH AS 2.1. The eventual solution was to install the OS with the tape drive attached because I couldn't get it to be recognized by adding it after the install.

In a related situation I've backed up the server with dump and have a DLT with all the partitions backed up. I then proceeded to rm -r /usr and attempt to restore the /usr partition. (server is not on line yet) I found that when booting the RH AS 2.1 CD and selecting the "recovery" mode, it nicely mounts the partitions for me under /mnt/sysimage but I have no access to the tape drive as the device is missing (/dev/st0). I've tried "insmod st" and "mknod /dev/st0 c 9 0" and I get no errors but the tape device doesn't seem to be there. How do those of you running servers do bare metal backup and restore?

I have always reinstalled from cd and then done the restore. Mind you,
I have never had this happen to a system partition in the wild, only during testing. Im my case I now use amanda and use amrestore, ir is it
amrecover, to actually do the restore. I also have it setup to use tar
so I am not dump literate.

Having said all this there has to be something that can access the tape:

is the device /dev/st0 really missing?  by default, mt and alot of other
tape utils default to /dev/tape which is symlinked to /dev/st0 on my
machine.

Remember I'm booted on the RH recovery CD so it is a minimul version of Linux. The tape device is not there, /dev/st? and /dev/tape. a cat of /proc/scsi/scsi shows the tape on SCSI id 6 but when loading the "st" module and making the device node nothing happens. The device node gets made and it is a character device at 9,0 as it is when fully booted in RH but when accessing it with mt -f /dev/st0 I just get a "No such device" error.

Ah yes.  Never having used the recovery cd I would first look to see if
the filesystem that /dev is on can even be written to.

what does mount show?

If you think that the original / file system is in place then you could
probably chroot to the original fs and then be jammin chroot /mnt/sysimage/whatever should do it or use the device that is at
/mnt/sysimage/whateveristheroot/dev/st0 as the device

try

mt -f /mnt/sysimage/whateverisrootfs/dev/st0 status

Bret

The whole idea was not to have to depend on the software on the machine to do a restore. I'm not in an emergency situation here. I did this intentionally to scope out recovery procedures before this beast goes on line. I'm still hoping RH will have an answer for me.

Doug P