Well, first of all I don't see why it would be giving errors about ext3
partitions, but that's besides the point if you have copied the
partition.  You need to reinstall GRUB to point to the new partition. On
sdb1 or sdb1.  I don't remember the command it is something like
grub-install /dev/sdb1.  You can look it up in the GRUB manual.