Not to be flippant, but isn't it a shame that some consultants would
recommend a solution which is of more benefit to themselves than to their
customer?  As for me, I wasn't comfortable making any sort of Linux
recommendation (pro or con) until I actually tried it out, though many
asked.  So, I've downloaded various distros and tried them out.  From my
customers' perspective, Linux is _almost_ there as a desktop.  Most of my
customers are too small to worry about the server side of things
(peer-to-peer networks, for the most part), and use their desktops mostly
as word processors, internet portals, or gateways to other systems.  Some
have specialized applications that they would _never_ want to part with,
or it would exorbitantly expensive to re-write the app for a Linux
environment.

The last part of your post makes perfect sense - the more people "out
there" that have experience with Linux, the less expensive it is to train
them.  The more Linux consultants that are available, the less expensive
they become (in general) as resources in the management mix.  Result: a
lowering of Linux TCO.

Tom Hightower
Solutions, Inc
http://www.simas.com