There is no such thing as a 'hidden' cost.  If you consider maintenance
costs as hidden, you need to open your eyes.

Any organization that limits itself to a single technology ends up costing
itself much more money than they might save in personnel.  Most major
companies have realized this and use consultants to supplement their staff
where necessary.  Some have even gone to the extreme and outsource their
entire IT departments.  I'm not so sure that's a good idea but they are.

Anyway, each NOS has it's strengths and weaknesses.  In my part of the
world, Linux consultants cost the same as Windows consultants do.  So the
last factor is the amount of time that it takes to administer.  I doubt
there will ever be an easy way to compare administration times but I would
surmise that UNIX and Linux servers take less time than MS Windows do.
Mainly because it's very easy to automate tasks from the command line.
This can't always be done with MS Windows software.

<quote who="[EMAIL PROTECTED]">