At 8/24/2003 22:04 -0400, you wrote:
On Sunday 24 August 2003 07:07 pm, Jason Dixon wrote:
> Sorry, I'm joining this thread way after the fact.  The only thing I'll
> mention is that I *have* seen certain applications zero out a very large
> filesize in preparation for filling up that space with a series of
> chunks.  Bit-torrent is the *perfect* example of that.

Dunno if that's his problem, but it's quite common.  They are called "sparse
files".

This is something I only just heard about for the first time two days ago, but it's definitely not my problem (insofar as testing with cp and rsync and their sparse parameters can tell me).

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz [EMAIL PROTECTED]