From:     Justin Rush <jrush () scout ! wisc ! edu>
>Date:     2003-08-21 19:12:02
>[Download message RAW]
>
>Hi,
>  After upgrading all the machines to redhat 9 I am now seeing nfs
>errors
>in the logs of my client machines:
>Aug 18 06:46:16 ztrip kernel: nfs: server fromage not responding, timed
>out
>I get these errors mainly when trying to checkout large cvs
>repositories,
>but also on moving large files across an nfs mounted partition.
>Nothing
>shows up in the server's log files, and if I checkout the large cvs
>repository to /tmp on the client machine it works file.
>
>Does anyone have a clue as to why I am getting these errors?

Justin,

Over the years there have been MANY problems using mixed NFS
implementations, and in some cases just certain implementations in
conjunction with CVS.

I remembered your note above after reading a caution from one of the
principal CVS developers this morning:

---------------
The correct question is this:

  "Is it ever acceptable that a 'cvs commit' may corrupt the repository
  without any notification of any problems whatsoever until much time
  has passed and there is a need to checkout an old version of the
  repository that is found to be corrupted due to earlier NFS usage?"

If the answer is:

  "We do not care about old versions or if they might happen to be
  corrupt.", then by all means feel free to use NFS to do the checkouts.

If the answer is:

  "Correctness is more important than speed."

then just say no to using the NFS approach.

Regards,  Mike Klinke