I am seeing a strange problem on the two  RH 9 machines upon
which we loaded samba [ both the RH production samba release
(2.7.something) and also on the 3.0 Rawhide samba beta release ].

Smbmount ( or mount -t smbfs) has worked for a few years on
older machines running the RH 7.2-7.3 variants and still works well
today. However, both RH 9 machines on which we put samba have
intermittent "hangs" after smbfs mounts. After a control-c, the share
is definitely mounted, but since several mounts are run in a single
script, terminating the script is undesirable behaviour. The only
error message I sometimes get in strace is  <not finished>.

This is a very frequent but random event, and occurs on
connections from both the RH 9 boxes  to Windoze boxes and
other Linux boxes. Older boxes (which don't have this problem)
share the same hub and unmanaged switches. The windoze boxes
can map each other ( and the Linux boxes)  without a problem.

Has anyone else experienced this failure ?? A strace is
unrevealing, since everything up to <password> is the same for
both failed and successful attempts. This could be a mount
problem, rather than a samba problem.

I haven't seen anything in Google which resembles this issue.