On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 12:42, Timothy Stone wrote:
> <snip>
> :::averting eyes and falling prostate...oh, nevermind, its just Ed and a
> Mr. Microphone...:::  :D
>
> Thanks Ed for the information. I'll subscribe to Piranha-List and sort
> through the archives (assuming the archives are on MARC). Seeing your
> notes on RH's AS/ES and clustering product paths, I think that I may
> return to the more technical route and build out a custom kernel. I just
> clicked on the Ultra Monkey link on the lvs.org site. UM looks promising
> and the documentation is good. It seems to plug neatly into RH8, which I
> have conveniently on hand on CD-ROM.
>
> In the future, I would like to be buying RH products. This server is
> more than a proof of concept in a Windoze dominated shop. Yet at the
> same time the budget of this project is strained, in some ways crippled
> by MCSEs and FUD, so keeping costs down and investing the sweat equity
> into the configuration is paramount (700 for ES just would raise
> arguments that "for 700 dollars we could just install W2K." Of course to
> enable the load balancing requires proprietary software and the costs
> ballon beyond just the OS; but my colleagues would conveniently forget
> that in the argument to the higher ups). The project is a production
> demonstration of Linux in the enterprise, and possibly a beachhead for
> more, especially as a transistional platform for legacy mainframe
> applications and personnel.
>
> Yours in Linux, with thanks,
> Tim

Rise, oh, insignificant one. Oh wait, you are trying to infiltrate a
windows shop and bring sanity and Linux to the masses. Welcome into the
brotherhood master spy.
(Coming back to reality....)
Yes, I have found the same when it came to comparing Windows and Linux.
They look at the cost of just the operating system on the Windows side,
but make sure to tabulate everything additional on the Linux side, which
isn't much extra and what you get in comparison is the key. I am in the
process of searching for a replacement to Exchange. Cost is an issue,
but my main concern is being able to migrate my users email. Some
mailboxes are over 2gb. Unfortunately, the newer version of Communigate
Pro introduced a bug that limits you to mailboxes less than 2gb. I have
yet to get Byanari to be able to import a mailbox. For that matter,
neither has CGate Pro. Not good. A well. Good luck!
Ed, who now takes out his Mr. Microphone and sings "Feelings, nothing
more than feelings......"