To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Suspiciously Weird Apache Log -- HELP
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Reuben D. Budiardja" said:
>On Saturday 30 August 2003 10:11 am, MKlinke wrote:
>> On Saturday 30 August 2003 01:39, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
>> > First of all, is this dangerous and make my machine vulnerable?
>> >
>> > RDB
>>
>> You should easily be able to duplicate the entry by telnetting into your
>> web server on port 80 and issue the same or similar GET request.  In my
>> case the URL requested is ignored and the web page's proper data is
>> returned but like you the entry in the access log show:
>>
>> "GET http://www.webtwo.com/"; 200 16991 "-" "-"
>>
>> when, for example test this against www.webone.com.
>>
>> Take a look at the number after the "200"; is it the nuber of bytes
>> contined in YOUR web site?  If so, that is what was probably displayed.
>
>OK, I am don't quite understand this. When I tried telnetting to port 80 on my
    >
>own server, and then say
>GET http://www.webtwo.com/
>
>all I get in reply is the index page of my own server. So I am fine? The proxy
>folder in the apache directory also empty

Yes, you're fine.  I did some tests today and I get the same behavior.  The
logs look like it did a proxy transfer, but in reality it just sent my test
homepage.

jeffl

- --
Jeffrey F. Lawhorn                       |Internet Security Consulting
Software Design Associates, Inc.         |IDS Installation/Monitoring
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       858-679-5900 x:5900|Firewall Installation/Monitoring
http://www.wanet.net/ 858-679-2327 fax   |

What is your network being used for?
How do you know?