On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 04:10:17PM -0500, Bret Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 13:08, Kevin MacNeil wrote:
> > I'm using sendmail, procmail, spamassassin, mailscanner and clamav
> > to process incoming mail. Now apt is complaining about unmet perl
> > dependencies, even though I've already installed all of the required
> > modules through CPAN. I even tried to install the offending module
> > anyway, but according to rpm -q it doesn't seem to be getting
> > installed.
> >
> > Is there some way to tell mailscanner to forget about the perl rpms
> > that ship with it, since it doesn't need them anyway?
>
> You installed the src rpm rather than the regular rpm.  you could
> build a rpm from the src one :
>
> rpmbuild --rebuild perl-MIME-tools-5.411-pl4.2.src.rpm
>
> ind install it or install the actual perl-MIME-tools rpm if you have
> it.

Right, a silly typo on my part reconstructing things the next day. I
already tried to build the src.rpms but ran into more dependency
problems.  MIME-tools wouldn't do anything without IO-stringy-*src.rpm,
which was also supplied with the mailscanner rpm, but that wouldn't
compile because the files were already found in my perl installation:

RPM build errors:
Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/IO-stringy/.packlist
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/perllocal.pod

Strangely, I got this same error even after renaming the IO-stringy
directory and deleting the references from the perllocal.pod file. I
gave up at this point, since I'm nervous about screwing around with a
perfectly functional perl + many extra modules installation.

The problem is, mailscanner has unresolved dependencies for perl rpms
even though all of the required perl modules are installed and working
on my system. Rpms are easy and convenient, except when they're not. Is
there some way to tell mailscanner that it doesn't need to bother
looking for perl rpms, or should I just re-install the thing from
source? I'd prefer to use rpms if I can, so I was just wondering if
anyone has run into this before.