No detail, Sounds like cpu architectures getting in the way
to me.
I take it the AMD is a later processor rev than the Dell.

Example  - the DEll is a pentium One and the AMD is a
Pentium 3 class machine?
The AMD might be running a 586 based kernel while the Dell
might be running
a 386 kernel. The 386 will boot on a later modle processor
as  it is upwardly compatible
but if the AMD disk has a more architecture targetted
kernel, it can crash trying
to execute P-3 only instructions ona  a P1 base for example.

Sounds like you need to stikc the drive back in the AMD and
stuff the boot directory from the
dell DISK ONTO THE amd DISK to have a compatible kernel
loaded.
If this is the issue, you will also run into the same issues
with any (X86) specific
libraries/executables on the AMD drive that are not
compatible with the CPU in the Dell.

Pifer
>  Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 2:24 PM
>  To: RedHat List
>  Subject: Swapped Hard Drives
>

>  I have two development machines both running RH9. The
machines are
>  completely different hardware. One is a Dell Optiplex and
>  the other is a
>  white box AMD.
>
>  I needed to switch the hard drives to take advantage of
the white box
>  AMD having double the RAM as the Dell. I took the Dell's
hard drive,
>  stuck it in the white box, followed the prompts for
adding
>  and removing
>  hardware, and after setting up X, it's running like a
champ.

>  Taking the white box AMD's hard drive and sticking it in
the Dell's
>  machine has not gone as smoothly. It gets to the grub
menu,
>  and then it
>  reboots. The drives were the only and primary drives in
each system.