I take it the AMD is 1.4 GHZ P4 look alike?
Check the kernel rev's in /boot before you do anything.
IT IS highly likely that you will have to replace everything
that is
architecture specific not JUST /boot and the OS
images..... - /lib/ , /usr/lib/, and rebuild
everything. Any shared libraries that use specific P4 level
instructions
will cause the attached executable to core dump or the
processor to hang (Illegal Instruction Error - core dumps
user level stuff, hangs the kernel.) when it tries to run
that section of code on your P3 architecture.
You might be able to stuff the i386 stuff onto the drive to
replace what is there to get
an operational system and then do a full upgrade to put the
righht libraries etc in place.
Back things up FIRST, You may be better off running an
Upgrade from the install cdrom's
to make sure you get everything correct.... or just do a
clean install. Depends how much you have invested in the
configuration of the software and whether or not you can
just copy off
what you changed and reinstall it after a fresh install of
Linux.

My recommendation would be to copy off, install fresh, and
then put back your applications
since that may be easier and safer in the long run.

Pifer
>  Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 3:36 PM
>  To: RedHat List
>  Subject: RE: Swapped Hard Drives
>

>  Yeah, you're probably on the right track. The Dell
machine is a PIII
>  1Ghz and the AMD is a Pro 1400+. I'll see if I can copy
the
>  boot stuff
>  over.
>
>  Thanks,
>  James
>
>  On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 15:04, Kenneth Goodwin wrote:
>  > No detail, Sounds like cpu architectures getting in the
way
>  > to me.
>  > I take it the AMD is a later processor rev than the
Dell.
>  >
>  > Example  - the DEll is a pentium One and the AMD is a
>  > Pentium 3 class machine?
>  > The AMD might be running a 586 based kernel while the
Dell
>  > might be running
>  > a 386 kernel. The 386 will boot on a later modle
processor
>  > as  it is upwardly compatible
>  > but if the AMD disk has a more architecture targetted
>  > kernel, it can crash trying
>  > to execute P-3 only instructions ona  a P1 base for
example.
>  >
>  > Sounds like you need to stikc the drive back in the AMD
and
>  > stuff the boot directory from the
>  > dell DISK ONTO THE amd DISK to have a compatible kernel
>  > loaded.
>  > If this is the issue, you will also run into the same
issues
>  > with any (X86) specific
>  > libraries/executables on the AMD drive that are not
>  > compatible with the CPU in the Dell.
>  >
>  >
>  >
The
>  > machines are
>  > >  completely different hardware. One is a Dell
Optiplex and
>  > >  the other is a
>  > >  white box AMD.
>  > >
>  > >  I needed to switch the hard drives to take advantage
of
>  > the white box
>  > >  AMD having double the RAM as the Dell. I took the
Dell's
>  > hard drive,
>  > >  stuck it in the white box, followed the prompts for
>  > adding
>  > >  and removing
>  > >  hardware, and after setting up X, it's running like
>  > champ.
>  > >
>  > >  Taking the white box AMD's hard drive and sticking
it in
>  > the Dell's
>  > >  machine has not gone as smoothly. It gets to the
grub
>  > menu,
>  > >  and then it
>  > >  reboots. The drives were the only and primary drives
in
>  > each system.
>  > >
>  > >  I'd rather not reinstall this machine since I had a
some
>  > >  stuff installed
>  > >  that would take a while to install again. Any
suggestions
>  > on
>  > >  how to get
>  > >  this one going again?