Leonard Miller wrote:
> Who are you running the command as?  Root should be the only person
> that can run the service command.  If you "su" to root and it doesn't
> work, try to use "su -" instead.  Or just type /sbin/service.  If it
> still says command not found, do a "which service" and see what it
> says.
>
> Leonard
>
> Automatically inserted lawyer supplied confidentiality notice follows.

> Okay, I've been meaning to ask this question several times and never
> got around to it, but now I'm curious.  I've seen on this list
> several times commands like: service blah blah restart.  When I try
> the command bash tells me 'service: command not found'.  What am I
> missing to allow me to use this?  This would be much easier than
> going through init.rd to get a particular daemon to restart, start or
> otherwise.  Could someone clue me in on this?

> Jesus is coming - look busy!
>
> Mark Haney
> Polk County Schools IT Staff/Technical Guru http://www.polk.k12.nc.us
>

> **********CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE**********
> The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential and/or
> privileged and is intended for the sole use of the individual or
> organization named above.  If you are not the intended recipient or an
> authorized representative of the intended recipient, any review,
> copying or distribution of this e-mail and its attachments, if any,
> is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
> notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this
> message from your system.

Okay, someone please smack the idiot!  I have been trying to run the
command as root, but every time I've seen it in various postings, the
path wasn't included.  In my decayed brain, I thought that the command
would work exactly as typed, so I never thought to look for the path.  I
am deeply embarrassed.  And with that I go home to my pool and my beer.
Thanks, Mr. Miller.