On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 15:21, Chris W. Parker wrote:
> Jason Dixon <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>     on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 12:16 PM said:
>
> > I've done this for many of my clients, works great.  You'll want
> > someone who's familiar with Samba to setup permissions properly, but
> > once that's done it should require very little administration
> > overhead.
>
> Seeing as that I'm pretty new to configuring Linux, do you have any
> suggestions as far as required packages that need to be installed?

It will probably take you a few tries to get it just like you want it,
since you've never used Linux before.  Go for the minimal install (is
that still an option?), then add just those packages necessary to get
you going... the samba* stuff, raid*, etc.  Unfortunately, this goes
along with having experience using the operating system.

> Also, do you know if Linux can support Raid 5 easily or is it a pain in
> the butt to get setup properly?

Support is good.  Obviously, you'll want to research your options and
make an educated choice.  If you're going with software RAID, you'll be
fine, but most folks will tell you to do hardware RAID.  If you do, make
sure you find a vendor that supports Linux and offers cards that rebuild
on the fly.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting