On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:36:20 -0400
Kevin Breit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Kevin,

>     I compiled 2.6.0-test5 (latest) today and am having a hard time
> booting it.  During boot, I get:
>
> Kernel panic.  No kernel found.  Trey passing init= to kernel.

The message you're seeing is actually:

       No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

This means that it was unable to mount your root filesystem.
Would need more details to know why.

> My .img file is specified in grub.conf and does exist in the proper
> directory.  As does the kernel.

Since you're compiling your own kernel don't use modules.  They
just make life more difficult and in fact make your kernel slightly
slower.   If you compile just the options you need into one static
kernel you don't need an initrd .img file at all.

If you have some special need to use modules make sure you
upgrade to the latest modutils, the 2.6 kernel requires updated
module handing programs.

Cheers,
Sean