On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:56:07 +0800
Callan K L Tham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Saturday 13 September 2003 06:24, Kevin Breit wrote:
> > Below is grub.conf:
> >
> > default=1
> > timeout=10
> > splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> > title Red Hat Linux (2.6.0-test5)
> >         root (hd0,0)
> >         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.0-test5 ro root=LABEL=/
>
> You'll want to change "root=LABEL=/" to "root=/dev/hda3" or whatever
> holds your / partition.
>
> "root=LABEL=/" is a RH thing...doesn't work with vanilla kernels.

Hi Callan,

It actually works without a problem with vanilla kernels.   The LABEL
feature is contained in the initrd code so as long as you supply a
properly built initrd you'll be able to boot without having to hard
code device paths.

> I have lots of problems getting test5 to compile though...maybe my
> skills aren't there yet.

Recently a new menu option was added under Code Maturity Options:

[*]   Select only drivers expected to compile cleanly

And everything should compile for you.   If it doesn't, make sure
to subscribe to the linux-kernel mailing list if you're not already.
So many people on that list that know their stuff that you're
bound to get a suggestion or complete solution quickly.

Cheers,
Sean