On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 08:11, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Morning everyone.
>
> Well, I need to setup a internal DNS server for our company. As it stands
> right now, im looking at using BIND. But, i've never setup a BIND server
> before. Granted, I am very familiar with using commands such as 'dig' and
> 'nslookup', but as far as actually setting up BIND and getting it to work,
> im a newbie...
>
> With that in mind, does anyone recommend a link, doc, or book that I can
> read on how to setup a BIND server to be secure and efficient? The actual
> install of BIND should be pretty easy, but it is the setting up of the
> zones for my intranet and hosts as well is where I need some input..

The bind website is here http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/ but I would
do a search of google.  Although, some think that BIND is hard to
configure and unsecure... I thought it was fairly easy and it has been
secure for our company.  Just recently, we started name serving all of
our domains names (they were name served by our registrar) and the setup
was so easy that I was convinced I had it wrong.  Worked like a charm.
Is in rpms.  Also I just tried to use redhat-config-bind and setup a
slave (backup) name server with it so quickly it was amazing.  The
process litterally went ly this:  Installed RPM, ran redhat-config-bind,
configured my slave (hit a couple of buttons, and entered an ip to the
master), saved it, exited redhat-config-bind.  And my slave was
working.  Next time I might try the redhat-config-bind to admin my
current master... just haven't yet.  Also chrooting named is fairly
easy.  HTH

There is also djb-dns and there website is here:
http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html if you need (or have time to compare).  I
installed it once but ultimately stuck with BIND...  not sure why as it
has been awhile.