On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:19:49 -0500
"Benjamin J. Weiss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I hope that RH isn't shooting themselves in the foot with this.  I think
> I understand the rationale, but it was the close branding between Red
> Hat Linux and Red Hat Enterprise Linux that convinced my boss to go
> ahead and purchase RHEL Advanced Server.  I'd already deployed a couple
> of RH 9 boxes and showed him what RH was capable of, and when he found
> out that there was a commercial version that had enterprise support, he
> decided to purchase.
>
> He viewed RHL as the "entry level" and RHAS as the
> "professional/commercial level".  I don't think that he's anywhere near
> alone in that view.
>
> I'm afraid that by making this move, RH may do two things:
>
> 1) Fedora won't be as popular with the newbies, since it won't have the
> famous "Red Hat" name, and the distribution will lose newcomers to Suse,
> Mandrake, and Debian.
>
> 2) RHEL will lose market share because they won't have the hordes of
> people trying/using RHL at home or for small project who then look to
> upgrade to RHEL.
>
> I'm worried, I am.

As far as i can see the only real difference from what we have today is:

a) You can't buy a boxed set of Fedora

b) You can't buy support for it either.

c) The average developer can be more involved.

Other than that, everything else will be the same.

> P.S.  What'll happen to RHN for the free linux??????

You'll have to purchase an Enterprise offering to get support from RedHat.
But there will surely(?) be auto updating feature provided for Fedora.

Cheers,
Sean