On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 21:30, Steve Phillips wrote:
> At 08:57 p.m. 22/09/2003 -0400, Jason Dixon wrote:
> >On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 20:42, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
> >[snippy snip]
> > > Um...Jason...the CERT training that I went to stated (though I have not
> > > verified it externally) that it is still possible to fool chkrootkit if
> > > you are running it in a "compromised environment".  We were taught that
> > > the best way to go is to run it from a "clean" medium, such as knoppix, to
> > > ensure that any of the binaries or LKM's aren't spoofing you.
> > >
> > > I know, you specifically stated that you should use good binaries...but
> > > this is easier and (AFAIK) foolproof...
> >
> >I'm happy that your CERT training prepared you for small/home-office
> >operations.  However, many of us work and exist in environments where
> >carrying around a CD doesn't scale.  My suggestion can be quickly and
> >easily performed on remote systems.
>
> Please then - do not use FUD to market your product.

What are you talking about?  What product was I attempting to market?
I'm afraid you must not have read very carefully.  At no point did I
offer to sell *anything*.  I was simply offering up some free, sage
advice.

> > version of
>
> This is misleading, and if the aim is to get people to be more security
> minded then being misleading is a bad place to start.

I assume you're responding to Benjamin, those were not my words.

> Yes, this is not practical in every instance, and as with personal
> firewalls, anti-virus scanners and using "different operating systems that
> are not mainstream" every little bit helps - but PLEASE don't start
> spreading the same kind of drivel that many marketing plebs out there in
> the world today do. It makes you and your product look bad to the people
> that would get the most benefit from your product. (even if you are giving
> it away)

What are you talking about?  Spreading drivel?  I've only suggested that
folks try running chkrootkit on their servers to try and gain a small
measure of comfort in the state of their systems.  Where did I appear to
be marketing something for sale???

> In a corporate (SME to Large enterprise) scenario I would assume that they
> already have systems in place to cope with intrusion detection and
> eradication - including "known good" system configurations for just this
> purpose.

Duh.  Where did I suggest that chkrootkit was the end-all solution to
intrusion detection?  I only offered it up as a quick "check" for system
compromise.

> >Jason Dixon, RHCE
>
> *sigh* I guess RHCE doesn't delve into the security aspects then eh ?

I'm having a hard time understanding where your rant is coming from.
I've done nothing but offer a suggestion to users that they try running
chkrootkit on their systems.  You're obviously reading a LOT into the
email that simply wasn't there.  What is your PROBLEM???

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting