On Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003, at 08:57 US/Eastern, Kent Borg wrote:
P.S.  Did anyone point out that chkrootkit needs to be kept up to
date?  It does.

Back in May, on the cobalt-security list, Michael Stauber of solarspeed.net described a rootkit he'd found that completely evaded chkrootkit 0.40...

<http://list.cobalt.com/pipermail/cobalt-security/2003-May/008201.html>

The interesting part being, an OLDER version of chkrootkit DID provide some evidence of the kit.

Since then, I've been running multiple versions of chkrootkit over my server(s) on a regular basis... just in case. Notice that a new version was released just last Saturday.

<http://www.chkrootkit.org/>

pjm