Hi Stephen,

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have two new servers (different types) and each
> > server supports the ability to power itself off on
> > shutdown - I've installed windows and linux
> partitions
> > on each, though they are linux servers.
> >
> > >From a windows shutdown they power themselves
> off.
> >
> > >From a linux "shutdown -h now", they go to the
> "Power
> > down" prompt after shutting down the drives, but
> they
> > do not power-off.
> >
> > I have many other servers and desktop PC's which
> do
> > power-off on a shutdown but have been stumped to
> > figure out why these two don't under linux but do
> > under windows.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions, know where this is
> > controlled? and why?
> >
> > I'm using RH8 with latest RPM'ed kernels.
> >
> > Michael.
>
> Have you checked the BIOS settings in the machines
> to make sure that APM
> is enabled properly and that the BIOS is set for NO
> to PNP OS?

On your suggestions I went through the BIOS, disabled
the PNP OS option (it was enabled), and verified the
ACPI facilities were enabled.

For ACPI the motherboard (an MSI motherbaord) supports
S1 and S3 type suspends, I'll have to check the manual
today and see what the difference between the two are.

For APM, I have it on user define, and I think I
disabled APM for devices as I don't like the powering
down of any items within a server to be done. Should I
fine-tune this somehow?

> (and that APM and ACPI is running on either?)

Hmm.. neither has the apmd running, although they both
have the rpm installed. Should I enable the apmd
service, I thought it was only for laptops?

I appreciate you help.

Michael.

http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search