Ok, I stayed out as long as I could, so with both feet and a mind full here I
go.
Point 1 <performance>
          why argue this point, many different shoes to fit many different
feet, I have seen figures for all cases, and can state were I have had a
NT box that was more stable than either my Unix or Novell systems the
system ran for over a year without being touched at all {this was also a
SQL server used by a MIS group and hit hard every day}, of course in
the next room my Novell was more stable, and then in the next the Unix
systems were.  It's a pure case of what the box is doing, the way its set
up, and how reliable is the person supporting it.

Point 2 < Linux Usage Today>
O.K. I will admit that Microsoft is the evil empire, but they have a product
that is supported by MANY different platforms and vendors, this from a
corporate stance is great, they are relatively easy to setup {I think I could
train a monkey} which means the cost of support is less {less
knowledge less $$$$$} as well as the fact that they have a great public
advertising group {linux could use that}.  Novell has its share because
for F&P they are hard to beat, not as easy to set up, but once up they
run very stable across the board, just don't put a application on them.
Unix is out there on a large enterprise platform and doing a great job, just
more expensive to get and maintain, O.K. nuff said about them.  When
Linux has greater vendor support and better advertising, as well as more
of us speaking of its wonders than you will see it pick up, until then we
will all wonder why!  So let your management know how great it is, and
that you can get it to work in the corporate environment {go ahead play
those political games} and see what happens.

Pont Knowledge about>
See the end of point 2, but to say that they are glued to windows is
unfair, most of the engineers in my group would love to get of windows
as soon as possible, however until Linux reaches a point to support all
the needs of all users, I am speaking of application and vendor support
then you will not see wide spread usage in the work place.

O.K. now that I have your faces red with anger, go have a drink and
remove all your personal feelings about all this and look at it from only a
business and technical perspective.  A little about me, I have been doing
engineering for the last 12 years and am currently doing Infrastructure
Engineering {the server, network, and desktop environment}, and go by a
simple but very effective policy, use what is best for the job.  I.E. one
answer does not fit all, if you are doing enterprise F&P, go ahead and
use Novell, that is what they do and their directory structure is bar none.
If you are doing simple application services then NT is the best choice, if
you know what you are doing and take care of how the system is
installed, you get a stable system at a good price for the corporation.
High end application servers go on Unix and then the choice is left to
what the system should be for what it does.  About my quals for my job,
I am Cisco, Novell, and Microsoft certified, and have been doing
Infrastructure for the last 3 years.

The good news is that we live in a free society and all can make the
choice as we see fit.  So with all that said I will say again, the answer to
the original question is a question  "What is your need?"

Jeff

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Keith von Borstel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone compared performance of Linux, RH 5.0, with
> NT server 4.0 or Novell 4.x?

Linux wins in every case, the only disadvantage is that you really need
know the basics of unix, then again that goes with any operating
system.

> Since Linux is the least expensive and most stable of the three why
> is it not used as the file server for DOS and Win 95 computers?

Because Mr Bill Gates has a monpoly - here is the uptimes for a few
linux
servers:

System statistical information:

bess-proxy    up 221+23:14,     0 users,  load 0.35, 0.53, 0.40
croal         up 79+09:12,     0 users,  load 0.02, 0.10, 0.08
irk           up  5+06:05,     0 users,  load 0.25, 0.59, 0.72
irwell        up     7:52,     0 users,  load 0.73, 0.63, 0.57
kali          up  2+03:38,     0 users,  load 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
man-a-gw      up 22+15:36,     0 users,  load 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
man1-gw       up     7:28,     0 users,  load 0.02, 0.01, 0.00
man2-gw       up  1+22:41,     0 users,  load 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
man3-gw       up  1+22:31,     0 users,  load 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
roch          up  2+02:05,     0 users,  load 1.11, 1.09, 1.10
shipcanal     up  2+01:23,     0 users,  load 0.10, 0.04, 0.00
spodden       up 137+16:26,     0 users,  load 0.05, 0.02, 0.00
tame          up  1+22:34,     1 user,   load 0.63, 0.53, 0.48

As you can see the machines that have been setup run like a dream, the
only machines that are rebooted are the gateway machines and the
news
servers.

> Is there a reason besides that many people don't know Linux?

Because they don't keep up with operating systems as they are glued to
windows.

Chris.

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Keith von Borstel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone compared performance of Linux, RH 5.0, with
> NT server 4.0 or Novell 4.x?

Linux wins in every case, the only disadvantage is that you really need to
know the basics of unix, then again that goes with any operating system.

> Since Linux is the least expensive and most stable of the three why
> is it not used as the file server for DOS and Win 95 computers?

Because Mr Bill Gates has a monpoly - here is the uptimes for a few linux
servers:

System statistical information:

bess-proxy    up 221+23:14,     0 users,  load 0.35, 0.53, 0.40
croal         up 79+09:12,     0 users,  load 0.02, 0.10, 0.08
irk           up  5+06:05,     0 users,  load 0.25, 0.59, 0.72
irwell        up     7:52,     0 users,  load 0.73, 0.63, 0.57
kali          up  2+03:38,     0 users,  load 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
man-a-gw      up 22+15:36,     0 users,  load 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
man1-gw       up     7:28,     0 users,  load 0.02, 0.01, 0.00
man2-gw       up  1+22:41,     0 users,  load 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
man3-gw       up  1+22:31,     0 users,  load 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
roch          up  2+02:05,     0 users,  load 1.11, 1.09, 1.10
shipcanal     up  2+01:23,     0 users,  load 0.10, 0.04, 0.00
spodden       up 137+16:26,     0 users,  load 0.05, 0.02, 0.00
tame          up  1+22:34,     1 user,   load 0.63, 0.53, 0.48

As you can see the machines that have been setup run like a dream, the
only machines that are rebooted are the gateway machines and the news
servers.

> Is there a reason besides that many people don't know Linux?

Because they don't keep up with operating systems as they are glued to
windows.

Chris.
  Regards, From Chris.

  --==== SysOp of Logics BBS ====--        irc Nickname: |Fingers|
         [EMAIL PROTECTED]               Tel:  +44 (0) 1432 370535