Actually CSMA/CD is the problem on a large single area network.  I read the
article and see the point.  Here is the problem.  When a node transmits it
first listen for no traffic then it tries to transmit, if a collision occurs
then it goes into an algorithm to make a attempt again after it selects it's
new time slot, well the larger the number of nodes the greater the
probability that they will select the same time slot and cause a collision
again. Etc. etc .... Therefore large networks always bottle neck under
Ethernet and that is why no company will place a large number of computers
in the same area no matter what the transport medium is.  There is always a
optimum number that should be in an area before it is broken down.  That's
the theory.