David Barkman wrote:

It might be worth it to crack open the case and make sure your fans are
working
newer cpu's would probably immediately fry without a fan, but older ones
may run for a while at degraded performance.

Just want to correct you on one point. Newer INTEL CPUs (I notice the OP didn't specify) will actually do something a lot more fantastic.

I was recently at an Intel demonstration of a 2.8GHz CPU. They made it run, then ripped the fan/heatsink off.

The system immediately started to run slower and slower and slower, until it was almost as good as frozen.

However - no fry or damage!

It's a safety feature not a lot of people know about.

Back to the original point though - that would certainly explain things though if it's an Intel CPU, that would be the first fan I've seen die on those things.

Regards,
Ed.