Edward Dekkers wrote:

It's a safety feature not a lot of people know about.

It's called throttling, which has been around for a while now. The CPU will effectively cut its power down to 50% first, and will continue to do so till it reaches a point where it can stay cool enough, while still being operational (albeit very very slow.)

This also happens with my brain at work. Whenever I feel my workload is too high, my brain goes into 0.05 nanosecond of work, followed by 5 seconds of Slashdot reading, 0.05 nanosecond of work, 5 seconds of Slashdot, etc., etc., till it cools down enough.

--
H| I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> . 303.442.6410 x130
IT Director / SysAdmin / WebSmith . 800.441.3873 x130
Photo Craft Laboratories, Inc. . 3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6
http://www.pcraft.com ..... . . . Boulder, CO 80303, U.S.A.