On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 15:14, Jeff Wimmer wrote:
> So RedHat is dropping the  "end user" version and concentrating on
> commercial enterprise based products?  Is that what I'm understanding here?

Correct. They are dropping the "end user/consumer" version for the
Fedora Project. The only RH "products" will be the RHEL line.

> This would seem rather dumb on RH's part, since I doubt they have enough
> sales to support the company RH has grown into people wise just by
> enterprise sales alone.  VERY dumb move on their part ifyou ask me.

I agree that RH needs a product priced for the SOHO and small business
markets. This is something IMO they currently do not have in their RHEL
line of products.

Only time will tell if this turns into a disaster. I'm going to miss the
boxed sets. I have bought a boxed set for every RH release since 5.2.
Hopefully RH will bring them back in the future in some way. Plus now
the only way I can support RH (unless I have a future need to an RHEL
product) is to buy a subscription to RHN. I prefer to do manual updates
and don't use RHN. So I guess I end up buying something that I will
probably never put to use. :-P I guess I will consider it the price for
a "Fedora boxed set".

My big concern is how stable the Fedora Project is going to be with the
frequent release schedule.

I have not installed any of the Fedora test releases, but I will
download and install the final release. This first release is
essentially what would have been RH 10. As for releases after this one,
my current attitude about the changes is to "wait and see".

Regards,
Jim "No longer a Red Hat Linux user, but maybe a Fedora Project user" H

P.S. I'm typing this out on a Debian install I did 1 1/2 weeks ago.