From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Rodolfo J. Paiz
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 11:34 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SendMail GUI

At 09:58 10/16/2003, you wrote:
>Friends don't let friends use Sendmail.  There are other (read better)
>alternatives to Sendmail, and I would suggest qmail.
>
>http://www.qmail.org

I would argue that friends don't let friends get bullied and beaten on
the
qmail list and that friends don't force friends to patch and recompile
just
to prove they have hair on their chest. Qmail itself, as well as the
mailing lists that relate to it, are hostile, pure and simple. A total
novice just asked for a GUI to help him do basic Sendmail configuration
(a
15-second task when one knows what one is doing, 10 minutes or so for
the
novice following instructions), and you offer him qmail???

I must say I find this sadistic.

To the OP: Please post what version of Red Hat you are running, and a
little about your environment and the tasks you want the server to carry

out. Also, I do suggest that you quickly download and install Webmin,
then
follow the instructions on the Webmin site on activating SSL so that
your
access to it is secure and encrypted. While you do that, we'll get your
sendmail configuration squared away and running fine in a few minutes.

By the way, many people have argued that sendmail is great because it's
been around forever. Others argue that its age (and thus by extension
its
design) are old-fashioned and that there are better packages available
replace it. Feel free to explore this debate, just be aware that it's
almost religiously blind to reason... most people love one, hate all
others. In particular, though, I suggest that you do evaluate postfix
very
closely; since Red Hat provides you the option to use sendmail or
postfix
easily and in a plug-in fashion, postfix is likely to be the alternative

MTA which is easiest to use in place of Sendmail for a novice on Red Hat
Linux.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz