On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, Regina Nelson wrote:

> Hi...
> ...a little advice, perhaps

reboot your system and at lilo prompt type "linux single"

And a little tip for all of us, this also work with loadlin :-)

c:\linux\loadlin c:\linux\zimage root=/dev/hda5 ro single

does the miracle of an emergency bootup too.

> Hour 2 has taken a little longer than it should....
> I've installed Red Hat Linux 5.0 and I've managed to load LILO and can
> either boot a DOS partition or the new LINUX partition.  However, when the
> localhost login: prompt arrives and I type 'root' as instructed, and then
> enter the password, I keep getting Login incorrect.
>
> I've re-installed and checked the password, and am sure it's not that.
> Have I done something wrong? What am I missing?
>
> --Regina Nelson

Just to give you confidence, my routine timing for a Linux install using
the latest RH CD (I did it 23 times on 19 different systems so I could use
some statistics :-) is around 28 minutes, X, users, network and KDE
included :-). A little note, I choose carefully the components of the
systems (I have luck, I decide on buying equipment here). However, the
mean time is as high as 28 minutes :-) because I had three systems with
new AGP cards and I had to pick up a new X server for them.

In a single word, go for it, it's feasible. I bet you'll even get some
beach exposure inside of those 24 hours you proposed to yourself (big
wish, here it's snowing :-)

                                Cristian