John H Darrah wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, Stelios Bounanos wrote:
>
> > > Even more annoying is to get reams of this stuff
> > >

> > > begin 600 winmail.dat
> > > M&````$E032Y-:6-R;W-O9G0@36%I;"Y.;W1E`#$(`06``P`.````S@<$`!@`
> > [snip]
> >
> > Yes, what is this??
> >

>  This is a uuencoded file. The strings above are sometimes referred to as
> radix-64. They are generated ...

Not to criticise--just a correction.  A bit too detailed--and not
totally accurate.  It isn't necessarily radix-64; look at the comment
in uuencode.c:

        /* The two currently defined translation tables.  The first is the
           standard uuencoding, the second is base64 encoding.  */

I haven't checked to see if the example above is radix-64 or standard,
and as it's not important to this issue, I'm not going to.  A minor
nit, but we all like to cross and dot.

However, the reason I said it was too detailed is that I believe what
Stelios (and whoever originally posed this question--lost that one)
really cares about is WHY this garbage is showing up.  This is usually
from a sender in Microsoft Mail; there's a checkbox in configuration to
specify what format outgoing E-mail should take.  (It may also show up
from other MS-based mailers, esp. in browsers.)  Among other options
are choices that specify HTML and/or RTF as well as plain text.  Sorry
I can't tell you exactly what these option names are, or the precise
path to them--don't have a MM box here right now.  But the keynote is
that you can't do anything about this--unless you can have the sender
change their configuration.

Cheers,
--
        Dave Ihnat
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]       || [EMAIL PROTECTED]