> Has anyone else been in the same situation? Any advice on what to do
> would be greatly appreciated. I've tried to reinstall X, and what
> happens when I try to start it (with startx) is that it starts up, the
> usual backdrop colour shows up, and then it just drops me back to the
> shell prompt, without any error messages. This is quite frustrating...

Your best bet is to find what packages you currently have installed, using
the rpm database, and just reinstall the ones you feel are missing.  In
other words, something like:

# rpm -qva | sort | less

will give you a list of the packages you have installed.  You can redirect
that to a file, and peruse it.  You can get a listing of the files from
each of those RPMs using:

# rpm -qvl package

and find those that use /usr.  Most likely about 90% of them will use /usr
in way or another, so I suggest you selectively pick out the ones that
_don't_ use /usr, and just reinstall those. You can reinstall a package
that is already installed using:

# rpm -Uvh --force packagename.i386.rpm

Your immediate problem seems to be your window manager is not available.
Once the last client that is using X quits, X itself quits.

Dave