> I grow tired of playing games w/ ppl on the net.  I want to secure my
> machine  Any good books?

Start with the Security-HOWTO, available at:

http://scrye.com/~kevin/lsh/

and soon to be updated at sunsite.

After you have read that, come back with some more specific quesitons.  If
your looking for general system security, then something like "Practical
UNIX and Internet Security" by O'Reilly might be good.

If your looking for network security, consider the Firewall-HOWTO,
"Building Internet Firewalls" again by ora, and perhaps "Maximum Security"
by Anonymous, which is also a pretty good book.

Dave