  Al> I have to regularly move an entire source code tree back and
  Al> forth between Linux and NT.  When I move the tree of code I need
  Al> to maintain the directory structure, convert carriage returns
  Al> appropriately for the destination platform, and not change the
  Al> date/time of last modification.  Maintaining the last modified
  Al> date/time seems to rule out using ncftp.

Why not just control the source with a CVS server?  CVS can deal with
changing line-ends etc.  You then designate one machine at the server
and the other as the client.

  Al> Unless someone can suggest a better approach, I've decided to
  Al> use gzip to zip the entire source code tree and unzip the entire
  Al> tree. Now I just need to recursively process the files in the
  Al> directory tree by converting carriage returns and maintaining
  Al> the last modified date/time.

$ (cd project && make clean)
$ zip -rl project.zip project
(You can also use -i to include only some kinds of files in the
archive).

  Al> I'll have to be able to do this on both NT and Linux, so it
  Al> seems like a Perl script would work well for recursively
  Al> processing each file in the tree.

Or you can use "unzip -a" on the Unix box to unpack the files,
converting CRLF back to LF only.

  Al> Oh, I'm open to other alternatives, too, if anyone would care to
  Al> make a suggestion.

If you cannot use zip/unzip, GNU recode will do in-place CRLF
translation.