On Tue, 05 May 1998, Patrick T. Berry wrote:

>system, but I had paid about $1000 last August for the parts to build my system!
>Prices have dropped!
>I advise to get the most CPU that Linux will support.  If you get the PII, you have
>only about 6
> boards to choose from, and I prefer the less expensive Socket 7 boards

I disagree with you on this point. If, for instance, a 300 mhz part
costs $600, but a 233 mhz part costs $125 (I'm just making these numbers
up, but typically the higher speed processors are boatloads more
expensive than their slower neighbors, and often the speed increase
isn't worth the extra), then, even if you can afford the 300 mhz part,
I'd recommend the slower part and spend the excess in areas like more
RAM, scsi, and so forth. You'll have a better system over the long haul.

Also, if you get one of the clone chips, make sure you can get a
motherboard that can not only support it, but one that will support
future revs of the same chip or other chips as you decide to upgrade.
I've known people who have gotten burned by getting what seem to be
cheap CPUs (NexGen is a good example) but their motherboard is useless
when they want to upgrade to a Pentium II, for instance.