Hi Shawn,

> >The worst thing a 'macro virus', for example, could do is remove your own
> >files..
>
> Or any files you have "write" access to.
>
> Which doesn't seem like a problem if you protect ALL system binaries against
> writing without being root, but then you have to remember:
>
> 1) If you don't get them ALL, you're vulnerable, and it's a pain to get them
> ALL.
>
> 2) Your dot files are vulnerable, and they could be manipulated to make you
> run something when you're root.
>
> Think about this scenario:
>
> Virus runs.  You're not root.  It adds an alias to your shell settings
> files, making "ls" run an infected program that, if you're not root, just
> runs the regular "ls" with your chosen parameters.
>
> Then you su to root, and run ls again.  Boom, Mr. Virus wakes up and infects
> stuff.

ehmm... do you still use the "su" command without the
trailing minus?
(like in "su -")... then find the man page for su!

> Maybe it infects /bin/sh...
>
> Unix viruses take more thought and coding skill than Dos ones, but they're
> quite possible.  Considering the robust virtual memory and multitasking on
> Unix systems, you can make them quite large and complex and still have them
> work without arousing suspicion.

well, with un*x we've better defenses than poor dos!

hope this helps

ciao fede

> --

Semper Voster

| [EMAIL PROTECTED]                           |
| Via W. Tobagi, 21                        |
| 20143 Milano - Italy                     |
| Phone: +39/2/89.12.65.76                 |
| Member of the Linux Community :-)        |
| Microsoft's just a rebooting Infinity... |