On 4/29/98 David Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
   >> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/sane-0.72/backend'
   >> gcc -c -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/lib/glib/include -g -O2 -Wall
   >> -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../include -I../include
   >> -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/lib/glib/include -D_GNU_SOURCE
   >> -DPATH_SANE_CONFIG_DIR=/usr/local/etc/sane.d
   >> -DPATH_SANE_DATA_DIR=/usr/local/share!
   >> -DV_MAJOR=0 -DV_MINOR=72 -DBACKEND_NAME=umax -DLIBDIR=/usr/local/lib
   >> -fPIC -DPIC umax.c
   >> umax.c: In function `sane_umax_set_io_mode':
   >> umax.c:5083: parse error at null character
   >> umax.c:5084: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
   >> make[1]: *** [umax.lo] Error 1
   >> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/sane-0.72/backend'
   >> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

   > Hmmm, I'm not sure.  Sounds like the file is corrupted (if I had
   > to guess).  If it were me, I would delete the source tree and try
   > re-extracting the tar file.  Your configure output matched mine
   > FWIW.

I done that twice already but it did not solve the problem. The error
happen in the same place both times after re-extracting the tar file.

   >>Anyway, I don't understand what is causing the compile error with the
   >>umax.c part of SANE. The only scanners that I have, is a Hewlett Packard
   >>4c flatbed and a Connectix QuickCAM.

   > Sane compiles all the backends even for hardware you may not have
   > since it doesn't make any attempt at compile time to detect hardware.

OK.

   >On Fri, 1 May 1998 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
   >>OK, I have installed gtk+-0.99.10, which I downloaded from the
   >>RedHat ftp  site a few days ago. I removed the old gtk-0.99.xxxx
   >>that came with RedHat  Linux 5.0 so the control-panel is disabled
   >>now.

   >You should get gtk+ 1.0 rpms from ftp.gimp.org since that is the
   >official stable release.
   >jason

I just download the new gtk+-1.0.0-1.rpm and installed it and I was able to
finally compile SANE-0.72-1 completely. It works great with my Hewlett
Packard ScanJet 4c flatbed scanner. However, with the Connectix Color
QuickCAM, it takes one frame and freezes for some reason. I have to kill the
xcam process to get out of it. The QuickCAM is connected to the lp1 (0x378
IRQ 12) parallel port. I have tried changing the config.qcam file from 0x378
to u0x378 but that did not solve the problem. Then I tried connecting the
QuickCAM to the lp0 (0x3BC IRQ 7) parallel port where I had my LaserJet II
printer connected and changed the config.qcam file from 0x3BC to u0x3BC
but xcam still froze. I would like to use the QuickCAM on the lp1 (0x378
IRQ 12) parallel port so I can have the LaserJet II printer connected to
lp0.

Do I have to modify the kernel and/or lp driver module to use IRQ 12 for
lp1?

Thank you again for helping me.

David Smith

Net-Tamer V 1.09.2  - Registered