On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 09:56:53AM -0500, J. Scott Kasten wrote:
> Thankyou....I try to tell people this all the time and they don't beleive
> me.  You are exactly right.  You're themal cycling the silicon chips
> themselves from ambient room temp to about 200 degrees F or so,
[...]

While technically that's correct, at least in my experience it doesn't
seem to have much effect - I'd say in 90% of all cases, the CPU (and
most other parts) will be obsolete way before they die anyway... ;-)
So far, even the oldest "switched" PCs (i.e. machines which are
used < 4-5h/day and only run when in use) I have access to (about 9 years
old) still work fine. But as usual, YMMV.

Cheerio,

Thomas
--
             "Look, Ma, no obsolete quotes and plain text only!"

     Thomas Ribbrock | http://www.bigfoot.com/~kaytan | ICQ#: 15839919