On Thu, 4 Nov 1999 14:02:45 -0800 (PST)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Forgive me - I come from a Solaris/FreeBSD background (with Afterstep).
> Playing with Redhat is putting me back into the "F'ing Newbie" status
> again.

Hehe, no need to panic about that.  All of us are newbies to a new
system at one time or another, hehehe! :)

> I currently let Redhat boot into graphical mode for logging in and then
> running the default Gnome environment.   This is all fine and dandy, but
> I'm not using any of the Gnome features at all.  Nearly everthing I launch
> is from a tiny xterm/perl script that is geared for my environment (one
> that has me launching windows to any one of a thousand machines).  I'm
> primarilly using this as a simple xterm host.
>
> 1: Is there an easy way for a specific user ID on the system
>    to instead run Englightenment without Gnome?

Yes, you can run Enlightenment sans gnome.  You'll want to edit your
.Xclients file in your home directory to have the following line:

exec /usr/bin/enlightenment

> 2: What happens to virtual screens and the pager?

Enlightenment supports virtual screens, and the new version of
Enlightenment, 0.16.1 supports a pager and an icon box so you can
iconify running apps.