On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 11:20:16PM -0600, Mike Friedrichs wrote:
> I have a executable file called jstar in /usr/bin, but when I enter 'find
> / -iname j*' I receive the message 'not found'.
>
> Is there any obvious reasons why this command doesn't function as
> prescribed. This is on Redhat 5.2.

find / -iname "j*" -print

Two things:
1) GNU find is nice and doesn't require the -print argument to print the
results, but you should get in the habit of using it in case you run into
a non-GNU based Unix system.

2) Your shell is trying to expand j* before it runs find and is not
"finding" any matches in your current directory.  Use quotes around
wildcards to pass them to 'find'

--
Steve Borho