matt boex wrote:

> i just installed rh6.1 and am having trouble
> increasing the depth on my X desktop.  i have tried
> altering XF86Config depth entries with no joy. problem
> is my monitor was not on the list of monitors when
> installing.  i just selected generic.  is there a way
> i can re-install just the monitor without
> re-installing the whole o.s.  better yet, how can i
> increase the depth without re-installing anything.
>
> any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> matt.
>
> =====

> as the Subject.

Hi, Matt,

Try 'xf86config'.  This utility requires no information about your
monitor except its horizontal and vertical refresh rates.  It doesn't
care if your monitor was made by Sony or Fred Flintstone.  Also, with
your present X configuration, have you tried starting X with "startx --
-bpp 32"?  You probably have a 32 bpp entry on your
/etc/X11/XF86Config.  This will startx X in 32 bits per pixel color
depth.  Good luck,

Hidong