You need to somehow find out exactly what the maximum horizontal and
vertical refress rates are for your monitor and then modify the
appropriate lines in your XF86Config file. Once that is correct, you can
safely muck with your settings without worrying about blowing up your
monitor.

--
----------Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana.----------------
--------Stranger things have happened but none stranger than this.-------------