On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 10:03:29AM -0800, Joe Brenner wrote:

> All I know about the sound problem at the moment is that
> during boot up when it tries to probe the sound card I can
> here a pop and a hum, but then it comes back and tells me
> it's not working (I think it says something like "device
> busy").  I haven't looked into it any further than that yet

It does sound like a conflict.  "cat /proc/ioports" and a "cat /proc/interrupts" are
not reliable.  So no overlap in the ranges in ioport?

> (I got bigger problems).
>
> > >    Apache no longer starts at boot-up.
> >
> > what is the ouput of
> >
> > find /etc/rc.d -name "*http*"
> >
> > If you do not see the approriate links, perhaps do
> >
> > chkconfig --add httpd
>
> Actually, the links are all there.  It turns out that the
> problem was that once upon a time I renamed this machine
> from "localhost" to "latveria" and this ocassionally causes
> problems (I'm not sure why).  I had to tell Apache

latveria does not strike me as an fqdn.  That could be the source of
problems.  See the note before the ServerName stanza in httpd.conf.

> explicitly what the machine name is with a "ServerName"
> directive (don't ask me why it can't just do a uname).
>
> But the old configuration file had been renamed:
>
>   /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf.rpmsave
>
> And I had to manually port the "ServerName" line over to the
> new config file.
>
> (You know, I can see why Redhat might have found this
> renaming strategy safe and expedient, but it really doesn't
> strike me as good enough.)

Sometimes the old config file does not get replaced, but the new
config file gets installed as file.rpmnew.  If they see that the new
config file has some features needed for proper operation of the
the new version of the software, they replace your existing one.

> Anyway, thanks for trying to help, but I was really just
> whining.  I can probably fix these problems on my own (and I
> haven't looked into it far enough to start begging for
> help), it's just that the amount of time I need to spend
> administering this box is really getting me down.
>
> There's another problem I could add to the list, too:
> postgresql is down, evidentally because the data file
> formats are different for 6.3 and 6.5, and it's up to me to
> do dump it and restore it in the new format.

Unfortunately, when you upgrade an OS, you can always expect a few
days work of cleanup.  Usually, if things work well for you, there is
no reason to upgrade.  It is another matter, that the 6.1 upgrade is
reminiscent of the 5.0 upgrade.  I certainly am thinking of debian.
There you do not have the danger of not being able to reach the
maintainers.

Mate