I'm still working on altering/adding user accounts from scripts
initiated via rsh/ssh.  For those of you who have offered some
assistance, thanks.  I'm experimenting with every possible solution.

However, I have found a 'SUDO' command under BSD which seems to offer
exactly the functionality I need.  It effectively allows a non-root
account to issue a command as root - sort of a 'DO as SU'.  Does anyone
know of a linux port/rpm of SUDO, and where to find it?

Thanks,
Andy