Aaron Walker wrote:
> 1) Is there a console based ppp config?  I am trying to make my old 486
> a gateway w/IP MASQ working and everything, but it doesn't have X, so I
> can't use the cool gnome ppp config utility.

As noted in another post, you can use Linuxconf to set up PPP
connections.  You'll find the PPP section under
Config->Networking->Client Tasks.

You can also set up the connection so that users can control the
connection.  Interesting additions to your setup might be webppp, one of
the masqdialer tools or diald.  You can find the former on freshmeat.
Diald is the UNIX auto-dialer tool.  Get my rpm from
ftp://duke.eburg.com/pub/linux/redhat-6.x-mycontrib/.  If you've set up
your ppp connection prior to installing diald, configuration is entirely
automatic.  Else, you have to edit one of the first lines in
/etc/diald.conf.  Easy, no?

> 2) Is it possible to attach a running process to an xterm?  How would I
> go about doing this?

Read the man page for "screen".  You can start a process in a "screen"
terminal, detach "screen" from the terminal, and reattach later from any
terminal.

MSG