>     From:
>            Jeff Potoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I'm having a rather bizzare problem with some new machines
> I just built.  They are 466 MHz dual Celerons on an Abit BP6
> motherboard, 64 mb PC100 SDRAM, 3Com 3c509b ethernet card
> and an IDE hard drive (not UDMA/66).  Redhat V6.0 linux
> is installed on the machines.
>
> Here's the problem.  When using ftp to transfer files,
> the machine(s) will just lock up and die.  Not all the time,

Try different network cards?  There might be a buggy driver that
is either racing or conflicting with the SMP kernel.  OR, maybe
try booting with a single-processor kernel.  Either would show
you if its a 3Com+Dual problem...

Ed
--
Edward Schernau                         http://www.schernau.com
Network Architect                       mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]